Saturday, December 5, 2009

My Starfish


A young boy walked along the beach one evening. He came upon a starfish stranded yards from the tide, struggling for life. The boy reached down and gently lifted the starfish and returned it to the ocean.

A man approached the boy and asked, “Why are you bothering with that starfish? They die up tide all the time, by the hundreds. That won’t make a difference.”

Raising his to the man, the young boy said, “It’ll make a difference to this one.”


So many times in my work on the Innocence Project I've been confronted with this question, "It takes so long to help just one person, is it worth it?" Well I like to believe it's worth it to the one person whose case it is that I'm working on. As I go take my test today, I will carry this story in my heart to remind me that what I'm doing is valuable and will hopefully make a difference one day.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Good luck today!! I'm thinking about you. :))

Unknown said...

i think about the same thing at work a lot. about how i can't possibly make a difference in one patient's life when i have five or six patients at a time. but then, a simple smile or a heartfelt thank you really reminds me why i wake up and come to work every evening. :)