Friday, September 5, 2008

Distance

"There's a point in your life when you know who stays forever, and who's just around for awhile. People change. But so do you, sometimes for the best & sometimes for the worse. Bad things happen to everyone. You're not in it alone. People lie, and some people just don't care how you feel. Your heart beats no matter how much pain you're in. Everything will be okay...eventually. There are always those people in your life that will make your day.... no matter the miles. I know all about distance, I've been dealing with it all my life. So don't tell me that it's easy. Because it's not. But it is worth it, I'd rather stay in touch with people I love, then to just drop it and forget about it. You don't forget about the ones you love. It doesn't work like that. Give it all you got, and live your life to the fullest. People would kill to be you, to have what you have... someone always has it worse off than you, but that doesn't mean your pain doesn't count."

- I'm not sure who wrote this, but it is a very accurate and beautifully put description of my life as it has been these past few years. If I had to say the hardest lesson that I've had to learn, it is that some people just don't care about me or other people's feelings in general. While I like to believe the best in everyone, lying is second nature to some. And to stop caring, for them, isn't difficult because in truth they never really cared to begin with about anyone besides themselves. I'd like to think it was as simple for me to just drop and forget about people. People who I shared rooms, lockers, bathrooms, tears, laughs, hugs, hours of discussion and dreams for the future with. But I don't forget people. And if you think you can, you are mistaken. Your past is who you are, it will come back full circle. Just wait.
Despite all of that, the nasty ex-boyfriend or the friends who treated me worse than the nasty ex-boyfriend, I have a handful of people who make my day, every day. I've been dealing with distance since I was young. My grandparents and immediate family have never lived in the same state as me. I've learned over the years how to handle distance. And besides the girls I work with, my three best friends all live 200 miles away and Ben over 1000. My relationships certainly wouldn't have survived these past two years, had I not known how to deal with the miles between. I've never said it was easy, but it's definitely been worth it.



0 comments: