Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Leo and Leah

Today in my Folklore and Feminist theory class I was introduced to a girl, Leo (pronounced Lay-o), who is from Ecuador. We were asked to state our heritage, where we came from etc. I was amazed, in this class of 38 girls, that so many had crazy backgrounds and actually knew about their ancestors and roots. Like me, there were also several girls (along with the instructor) who didn't know the answer to that question because we're from right here. We're American women from small towns. We know little pieces about our grandparents but we haven't carried traditions or cultures with us, or at least we don't really think we do. Anyway, back to Leo. She's fascinating. It's crazy but I could listen to her talk for hours, she has the neatest voice and just a rich history and life experience to share. I also was introduced to a classmate in my International Issues class, Leah, from New Zealand. She too had this beautiful voice and an incredible story. I know this semester is going to challenge me immensely, however I am very excited about the classes I am taking. Aside from the two I just mentioned, I am also taking my Magazine Editing course (which is what I want to do and I really think it's going to answer several of my uncertainties about my future as a journalist). I'm taking an intermediate writing class with Prof. Weinberg, who is not only a respected and established author but just a very nice and encouraging mentor. Our section focuses on the criminal justice system and we are partnering with UMKC and UMSL's law and criminology schools on a project entitled The Innocence Project. Basically I'll be assigned to a case to investigate the an individual who is convicted but potentially innocent and locked in one of Missouri's horrendous prisons. Finally I am taking my English capstone, in which I will basically write a 30 page paper on some topic that engages me from Willa Cather's writing. To most this probably sounds tormenting, I'm actually really excited about it. Cather was the editor for McClures, the magazine that several of the muckraking journalist wrote for. Supposedly Cather didn't like the type of work muckrakers produced, yet she edited tons of the work they published. Anyway I figure researching this and writing about it will be a perfect opportunity to tie my Journalism and English degrees. One other thing I did today was talk to an advisor about internships for next semester and summer and I found two I think would work out perfect. Now I just have to apply and get accepted!! If the one works out, I might be on my way to Birmingham, AL following graduation =) We'll see though. Ok this was random but I wanted to write about my crazy day.

0 comments: